Ok, so now for something a bit more heavy than recipies for soup.
I've got issues. Of course, we all have issues, but after being beaten over the head for several months by someone who cares, I've started examining one particularly large issue I have:
Passive Agression.
This is particularly difficult for me to approach, because I hate passive agression in other people. I suppose that's how it typically goes; what we dispise in others is typically our own faults in one shade or another. Still, admitting you have faults is particularly hard for we passive-agressive types. ;)
I came to the conclusion that something has to be done. I need to find a way to identify these things I do before they happen and derail them before then end up hurting my relationships.
Specifically, my relationship with my boyfriend is suffering greatly due in part to this problem.
So far, I've determined that I have a serious habit of deciding to forgo expressing when I dislike something he is doing because I have a real fear of saying no to him. This is a pretty general statement, but it covers a TON of different events over the last year...hell several years. He goes along thinking I'm cool with something and I end up screeching over something far less important and pissing him off. This happens to be THE number one pet peeve for Ryan, the thing he absolutely will not tolerate, so changing it is important to me.
The question is: How? How do you do that?
10.05.2007
Unlearning Passive Agression
Posted by JustAnotherMidwesternGirl at 10:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I have learned to say...
"It's not like I'm gonna tell you no, or you can't do that. Yer the boss, Dude. But I don't like it one bit."
Or something similar.
It allows me to release a bit of the steam that quietly builds up inside without blowing a gasket later, when it's something less important.
It also clues him into how I really feel about things which really does eventually translate to him learning me better... and learning what works for us better... without it being a "NO" or a huge blow up.
Am I making sense?
Force yourself to say something when it matters.
And bite your tongue when it doesn't.
It's not a perfect solution and I still blow up over stupid stuff cuz I let the big stuff slide too often but...
It helps.
I am much better at it than I used to be.
And Taylor is much better at not doing the big things that bother me - that he never would have known bothered me if I hadn't opened my mouth. Yanno?
Everything is still his decision.
He just has all the info with which to make it...
I'm babbling.
shut me up.
xo
Post a Comment