CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

9.23.2007

Poblano Corn Chowder for Carrie :)

Poblano Corn Chowder
From The Daily Soup Cookbook
(I love this cookbook, there is a place in town that makes soups from this book and I finally broke down and bought the thing myself; it's worth tracking down and buying if you are a soup freak.)

8 Ears fresh corn, kernels from cob and cobs reserved, about 4 cups

10 cups Basic Vegetable Stock (if you really wanna do this yourself, i'll email you the recipe. I use an organic, low-sodium, veggie stock in a box.)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 large red onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves

4 poblano chilies, seeded and chopped

1 dried chipotle chile, minced

1 chipotle chile in adobo with 1/2 teaspoon of the sauce, minced.
(I use two chilies in adobo instead of the dried because, oddly, I can't find them here. It also helps me use up what's in the can faster.)

1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano or regular dried oregano.

2 bay leaves

2 teaspoons kosher salt

6 medium potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch cubes. (The recipe calls for Idaho, but I am partial to North Dakota reds. :))

2 cups grated Queso Blanco or Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Combine corn cobs and veggie stock in a large stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

2. Melt butter in large stockpot over med heat. ad onion, 2 of the garlic cloves and the chilies and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.

3. Add chipotles with sauce, oregano, bay leaves and salt, stir to coat the veggies.

4. Add corn stock, corn, potatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

5. Add the cheeses and cream and simmer until cheese melts. (Don't let it boil, cheese can get gummy)

6. Remove bay leaves and puree about one quarter of the chowder in a blender until smooth (I actually puree closer to half, I like it really thick).

7. Return puree to pot and mix well.

8. Remove pot from heat and stir in remaining garlic and cilantro.

Makes 12 cups.
I usually make half the recipe because 12 cups of soup for just me would last a year. This isn't super spicy, cuz you clean the seeds out of the chilies, but has a nice mild burn to it. Enough that my daughter refuses to eat it. You can ramp it up, I'm sure, with more chipotles or using the dried chipotle which I am sure is stronger.

0 comments: